www.armenian.ch www.armenian.ch
All Good-Willed Armenians

Krzysztof Penderecki: in the Land of my ancestors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Krzysztof Penderecki: in the Land of my ancestors Reply with quote Back to top

April 8, 2008 | Noyan Tapan | Yerevan

Krzysztof Penderecki: I am glad to be in the Land of my ancestors

The famous Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki arrived in Yerevan on April 7. He told reporters that he considers his first visit to Armenia as "return home", as his grandmother was an Armenian emigrant from Isfahan.

"I am very grateful for the invitation to visit Armenia. I have been waiting for this visit quite long - for 75 years since my birthday. I tried to come to Armenia in the 1960s but I failed. Now I am very glad to be in the land of my ancestors. This visit is a return home to me".

Penderecki has come to Armenia to participate in Week of Penderecki orgaized within the framework of the international music festival "Prospects of the 21st Century" held on April 7-12. During these days the Armenian music lovers will have an exceptional opportunity to listen to works of the Polish composer at the concerts conducted by him. The living legend of classic art has brought famous musicians from ten countries with him.

K. Penderecki said that he has had no occasion to mix with Armenian composers, except for Aram Khachatrian, whom he received at his home. "At that time I was a follower of the avant-garde movement, and Khachatrian's music seemed a kind of old and too classic to me. Later, during my second meeting with him, I performed his Violin Concert in Warsaw," Penderecki recalled (at first he was a violinist).

In response to the question of whether his Stabat Mater resembles Armenian Liturgy, the composer replied: "Perhaps. When was a child, grandmother used to take me to Armenian church, maybe there is a resemblance, I cannot say".

Work is the real source of inspiration for the composer. "I wake up very early in the morning and start my work. When I begin creating, inspiration comes at that time. When it is groundless, everything is fine. But sometimes the development is slow, it also happens".

"There are artists, for example, Shagal, who always create in the same way.

Others, for example, Picasso, constantly change their directions. I work like Picasso: by changing my forms and directions. Each artist has his own labyrinth. The point is how to get out of one's labyrinth. I also get into such labyrinths but I alsways see ways to get out of them," Penderecki said.

The world-famous composer and conductor of Armenian origin promised to reporters that he will tell about his impressions and thoughts about Armenia in a few years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.armenian.ch Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: